The NBA has reached out to several franchises — including the Los Angeles Lakers — asking staff members to hand over their cell phones, email records, and internal documents as the league intensifies its investigation into illegal sports gambling, league sources told The Athletic.
The move comes after the U.S. Department of Justice announced sweeping federal charges last month involving former players, team staffers, and individuals accused of selling private injury information to gamblers. Under pressure from Congress, the NBA hired the law firm Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz to conduct an extensive internal review.
Focus on Lakers personnel connected to LeBron James
According to league sources, investigators are expected to request devices and communication records from at least 10 Lakers employees. Among those who have already voluntarily complied are:
- Mike Mancias, Lakers assistant trainer and LeBron’s longtime personal trainer
- Randy Mims, Lakers executive administrator and a close James associate for over 20 years
Both men are employed by the Lakers largely due to their long-standing ties with LeBron James, though neither they nor James have been accused of wrongdoing.
The heightened scrutiny stems from charges filed against Damon Jones, a former NBA player and LeBron’s past shooting coach, who allegedly sold injury information involving two Lakers stars on separate occasions.
Jones pleaded not guilty earlier this month in federal court.
Congress presses NBA: Why wasn’t this caught earlier?
Following the arrests of Terry Rozier and Chauncey Billups, congressional committees questioned why the NBA did not identify credible evidence of gambling misconduct sooner.
In a statement, the league said:
“The NBA engaged an independent law firm to investigate the allegations… A number of individuals and organizations were asked to preserve documents and records. Everyone has been fully cooperative.”
Inside the allegations involving Lakers personnel
Federal prosecutors allege Jones used privileged access within the Lakers organization to obtain private medical information. According to the indictment:
- On Feb. 9, 2023, Jones learned a Lakers star (“Player 3”) would miss that night’s game vs. the Bucks. He immediately urged an associate to place a “big bet” on Milwaukee — before the injury was publicly reported.
- On Jan. 15, 2024, he allegedly sold confidential details about “Player 4” ahead of a game against the Thunder.
Although prosecutors never name the players involved, the timeline aligns with absences of well-known Lakers stars.
The investigation expands beyond Los Angeles
Multiple other franchises were referenced in the federal filings, including:
- Orlando Magic: A starting player allegedly informed a gambler the team planned to “sit its starters” before a 2023 matchup.
- Portland Trail Blazers: A coach — described in terms matching Chauncey Billups — allegedly passed internal information to bettors.
Billups has been charged in a separate case involving illegal poker games but not for leaking injury details.
The NBA previously expelled former Raptors two-way player Jontay Porter for his role in a major betting scheme.
League preparing major injury-reporting reforms
According to league sources, the NBA is moving toward significant new rules for public injury reporting — aiming to close the information leaks that allowed gamblers to exploit real-time medical updates.
The cases involving the Lakers, Blazers, and Magic have accelerated those plans.
Damon Jones’ unofficial role with Lakers under renewed examination
Jones, though never an official Lakers staffer, had frequent access to team facilities and traveled with the team due to his relationship with LeBron James.
He became a popular locker-room figure and even inspired a team celebration — “The Freeze” — copied from his poker-table gesture: pretending to flash a badge and saying, “Freeze, Miami Vice!”
His informal involvement with the Lakers ended after one season.
Broader context: James’ associates linked to past investigations
This is not the first time someone within LeBron James’ business circle has appeared in a gambling-related probe.
NBA executives noted that:
- Maverick Carter, James’ business manager, was previously interviewed regarding a separate federal case involving an offshore betting ring.
- Carter was accused of giving inconsistent statements but was not charged.
What happens next?
Investigators will continue reviewing communication records, injury-reporting procedures, and possible information-leak chains across multiple franchises.
No charges have been filed against any current Lakers employees, and team personnel have reportedly been fully cooperative.
But as one league source put it:
“This is only the beginning. The NBA is bracing for more revelations.”
Join the Discussion
0 Comment(s)
Login to join the discussion: